Tuesday, April 24, 2012

TFOC: Chapter 1, Part 1


II.

The next day, the household was roused as Maximilian and his equerry came galloping down the causeway to the doors of Miramar.

Charlotte had been reading in the garden and had seen them coming from a long way away. Her breath had caught in her throat – Maximilian looked almost like a centaur, so skilled was he as he sat astride his horse.  So virile, so vibrant.

She went to greet him. Maximilian dismounted, tossed the reins of his horse to his equerry, and embraced her.

They walked, arm in arm, into Miramar.

“Are you tired from your journey?” asked Charlotte.

“Not at all. I quite enjoyed the ride,” said her husband. “Indeed, I could easily go for another. Would you like to accompany me? You brought your riding habit down with you, did you not?”

“Of course. Give me a half-hour to change.”

“I will have your horse ready, darling.”

True to her word, Charlotte walked into the stables half an hour later. She wore a dark blue riding habit and a perky hat perched on her head.

Her horse, Bellerophon, had already been fitted with a two-pommel side saddle, and the stable boy held his head while she mounted using the mounting block. She entwined her legs around the two pommels and gathered up the reins.

“Come, Maximilian,” she laughed. “Let’s see who can reach the other end of the causeway first.”

She whirled Bellerophon around and set him to the gallop. Laughing, Maximilian spurred his horse after her.

Latter that evening, after dinner, it was Maximilian’s custom to retire to his study and smoke and read, while Charlotte retired to the library – if they had no guests to entertain

This evening, Maximilian joined Charlotte in the library.

“What was so important in Trieste today that you had to stay over?” Charlotte asked idly, as she dealed cards for a game of piquet.

Maximilian waved a hand airily.  “I received a delegation of individuals from Mexico,” he said. “They offered me the crown…but I turned them down.”

Charlotte stared at her husband in horror.

“Charlotte, your face has gone quite white,” said Maximilian in concern. “What is the matter?”

“I…I…why would people from Mexico want you to be Emperor? They have no affiliation with the royal houses of Europe.”

“Oh, you are wrong, Charlotte. Thirty years ago, Mexico had a monarchy, very briefly. The King of Spain ruled Mexico as well. But the people revolted.  For thirty years Mexican nobles have struggled to restore that monarchy, and I was their choice.”

Maximilian placed his hands over hers, for hers were trembling.

“Charlotte, my dear, you look quite distressed. Are you unhappy because I refused the honor?”

Charlotte’s mind was racing – too many thoughts to express.

“Of course not, my dear husband,” she said. “To travel halfway across the world, to rule complete strangers who do not even know our language…I am quite pleased that you refused the honor.”

“Good,” said Maximilian. “But then…?”

Charlotte smiled. “A twinge of indigestion, my dear. Indeed, I think I will retire to my bedchamber early. Do you mind?”

“No, not at all. I will put the cards away. You’re sure you’re alright.”

“Yes, I will be fine tomorrow. “

He kissed her, and watched her leave the room. Maximilian thoughtfully replaced the cards in their pack, then shrugged. He had never known Charlotte to suffer from indigestion before, but she was not one to make a fuss. She would be alrght tomorrow.

Maximilian turned to one of the bookcases, removed Plutarch’s Lives, and settled down to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment