Friday, April 27, 2012

TFOC: Chapter 1, Part 3


III.

Charlotte wiped tears from his eyes. “It was a premonition,” she repeated.

Hortense wrung her hands. Charlotte had rushed into her bedroom, flung herself onto the bed and burst into tears.  Hortense, who had been sitting in the corner with a good view of the Adriatic out of the window, had dropped everything and embraced her. Then Charlotte had burst into a flood of speech.

“Come, my child,” said Hortense.

“If you say once more that it was just a dream, I shall scream,” snapped Charlotte. “Hortense, you know about dreams as well as I. No matter how horrible they might be, once you awaken, the memories of the dream dissipate. But I remember my dream last night – my premonition – perfectly. Every single minute of it!”

“But…you said Maximilian has refused the honor,” said Hortense. “So your premonition can’t come true.”

“No, you are wrong. This is exactly how my premonition started. In 1859, these Mexican royalists ask Maximilian to assume the throne, and he refuses. They return, four years later, in 1863, this time with the backing of Louise Bonaparte III of France. And then he accepts. And we sail to Veracruz…”

“Well…you must simply tell him not to accept the honor, when next the offer is made. Maximilian loves you so dearly…”

“He may love me dearly, but he will not refuse the honor merely because I tell him I had a bad dream. He will dismiss it as you have done. And we will go to Mexico and he will die…riddled full of holes by a rabble of men who can’t read, who can’t write…who….!”

Charlotte stopped and took a deep breath.  “Is this to be borne?” she murmured into Hortense’s comforting shoulder. “No, it is not to be borne. It will not be borne.”

“What is in your mind, my lady?” asked Hortense.

Charlotte rose to her feet, her face determined.

“I will need friends, Hortense. Friends who will help me. There will be none to be found in Europe, when the time comes. I must look elsewhere.”

Hortense looked at her mistress uncomprehendingly.

Charlotte took another deep breath, and gazed fondly at her maid.

“Thank you, Hortense. I feel much better now. You may leave me.”

Hortense rose, but looked at her mistress doubtfully. “What is in your mind, my child?”

“I need friends,” Charlotte repeated. “I have four years to find them. Plenty of time, if I start now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment